×

St. Philip Church

In category Catholic

Contact information

Address
5750 Frost Ave
Stone Lake, WI 54876
USA
Phone
715-865-3669
Pastor
Rev. Gregory Hopefl

Mass Times

Weekend

Sunday: 8:00 am

Weekday

Thursday: 8:30 am
check bulletin for updates

Confession

Sunday: 8:00 - 8:15 am

Show Map

Recent publications

Subscribe
  • Fri, Oct 18th
    • Fri, Oct 18th
    • Bulletin 20191020.pdf
  • Sat, Oct 12th
    • Sat, Oct 12th
    • Bulletin 20191013.pdf
  • Fri, Oct 4th
    • Fri, Oct 4th
    • Bulletin 20191006.pdf
  • Sun, Sep 29th
    • Sun, Sep 29th
    • Bulletin 20190929.pdf
  • Sun, Sep 22nd
    • Sun, Sep 22nd
    • Bulletin 20190922.pdf

About St. Philip Church - Stone Lake, WI

Around 1900, some 20 Catholic families lived near Stone Lake at a place called "Jordan Settlement." They were ministered to by Franciscan Fathers who traveled from Bayfield and Ashland, mainly Fr. Agatho Anklin and Fr. Odoric Derenthal. From 1905 to about 1911 the priests came about four times a year and celebrated Mass in private homes. In 1909 two local carpenters built a church and Bishop Augustine F. Schinner dedicated it. This church was burned to the ground in 1913 when lightning struck. Stone Lake was incorporated on Dec. 19, 1914. About that year, the Servite Fathers from Ladysmith came to Stone Lake to celebrate Mass in the schoolhouse and the Stubbins Dance Hall once a month. Fr. Andrew Bauman was in charge when a new church was built in the fall of 1915 and blessed the following summer. The Servite Fathers had charge of the parish until the summer of 1920. Diocesan priests served the parish until 1938, when the Franciscan Fathers resumed pastoral care. Today diocesan priests again oversee the parish. On August 25, 1974, Bishop George A. Hammes dedicated a new church. The church was made possible, in part, by a $10,000 donation from the Catholic Extension Society

Support your church advertisers