HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE HISTORY
OF SAINT VLADIMIR PARISH,
For the period
July 20, 1908 - Trustees prepare and sign
a Petition to the Court of
Common Pleas of Lackawanna County which read: “We, the
undersigned citizens of
the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania having associated ourselves with other
citizens as the Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church Congregation of Saint
[Vladimir] of Scranton, Pennsylvania, are desirous of being
incorporated…therefore declare the following to be the
object and conditions
agreeable to which we desire to be incorporated:
First: The name and
style of the corporation shall be “The Ruthenian Greek
Catholic Church of Saint
Wolodymir [Vladimir] of Scranton, Pennsylvania,
corporation is formed for the purpose of the support of public worship
according to the faith, doctrine, discipline and usages of the Greek
August 10, 1908 - Charter of Congregation
granted by the Court of
Common Pleas of Lackawanna County decreeing the incorporation of The
Greek Catholic Church Congregation of Saint Wolodymir [Vladimir] of
August 12, 1908 - Parishioners purchase the
former Robinson Hall at
426 North Seventh Avenue for their house of worship.
October 15, 1908 - Land on Amherst Street
purchased for use as
July 11, 1911 - The
Mansion at 430 North Seventh Avenue purchased for the amount of $10,000
used as the parish rectory.
August 18, 1932 - Parishioners accept the
bid from Architect Vincent
Russoniello to build a Byzantine style edifice for the sum of $55,000.
the time of construction, Sunday and Daily Liturgies are conducted at
Lucy Latin Rite Catholic Church while Marriages and Funerals were held
Mary Byzantine Catholic Church.
Easter Sunday April 16, 1933 - First Divine Liturgy is
celebrated in the new
September 7, 1936 - The new church is
dedicated and blessed by The Most
Reverend Bishop Constantine Bohachevsky.
6, 1950 - 2.85 acres of land is
purchased on Kane Street in
Minooka for use as a second parish cemetery.
June 15, 1957 - Property adjacent to the
church is purchased for
$10,500 in preparation for construction of Parish Center and School.
May 24, 1959 - Construction of the
Parish Center and School is
completed at a cost of $133,542. and building is dedicated.
September 5, 1960 - Newly installed Iconostas
at a cost of $7,000 is
blessed on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the parish.
June 10, 1961 - Property adjacent to the
Parish Center and School is
purchased for $10,915 for use as a parking lot.
April 26, 1970 - Newly constructed Rectory
September 18, 1983 - Parish observes its 75th
1975 - Church interior renovated
June 19, 1985 - Chapel/Utility Building
construction initiated at
Kane Street Cemetery, Minooka section of Scranton.
October 21, 2007 - The 75th Annual Card
Party is held.
December, 2007 - New church sign
installed—made possible through
funds raised by the students of St. Vladimir Sunday School Religious
August 10, 2008 - St. Vladimir Parish
officially 100 Years Old
October 19, 2008 - 100th Anniversary
Publicly Commemorated with Solemn Divine Liturgy, celebrated by His
Grace, Metropolitan-Archbishop Stefan Soroka of Philadelphia;
Paul Wolensky, Pastor of St. Vladimir's; and guest clergy.
the Liturgy was a Joyous Banquet at St. Mary's Center Catering Hall,
November 16, 2008 - Panakhyda Memorial
Service in Honor of the Founders,
Pioneers and All Parishioners and Pastors of Saint Vladimir’s
have Fallen Asleep in Our Lord Jesus Christ.