St. Ignatius is located in Urbana, Maryland and serves the religious needs of the Catholic community residing in a large area of southeastern Frederick County. St. Ignatius evolved from a mission that was founded in 1879 by the Jesuit Fathers and was originally part of St. Joseph-On-Carrolton Manor in Buckeystown, Maryland. In July of 1983 St. Ignatius became an independent Mission, and in 1986 the Archdiocese recognized the Parish of St. Ignatius.
The St. Ignatius community is comprised of established families with a long agricultural history as well as families and individuals that have moved into the area. St. Ignatius recognizes the importance of the Christian Family, for it is here that Christian living is nurtured. The purpose of St. Ignatius is:
-- To proclaim the presence of Christ to the entire community by dedicating ourselves to worshipping, witnessing, teaching, learning and living the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
-- To support the spiritual, physical and social needs of each individual within the community.
-- To develop programs and activities that support the fundamental unit of Christian life -- the FAMILY.
-- To encourage and promote an ecumenical spirit with other religious and community-minded groups in our area.
-- To support growth of our Church by giving of our time, talent and resources.